The Piggy Farm: Participation? - The Piggy Farm

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Participation? Just wondering if people would be comfortable if...

#1 User is offline   AnimeCanuck Icon

• SCR Studio Sidekick
  • Icon
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Acting, Anime, Manga, Japanese, Drawing, Reading, Writing, Badminton, Hockey, Bicycling, Sci-fi, Improvisation... the list goes on.

Post icon  Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:11 PM

Hey everyone,
I know you all know I've dropped out of this year's HAM, but I was wondering how people would feel about me still dropping in here and the Participants Only section to peruse and offer opinions/critiques/advice...? Would anyone be annoyed at that? Against that? Would you all rather it's a surprise and I buy the HAM 02 in the end? I don't believe I can do much art-wise anyways... but even though I've dropped my piece, I would still really like to help out in anyway possible - especially since the stories that remain are ones I was highly interested in.

I thought I'd ask here first before I go about arbitrarily making comments here and there - I have full admin status, and mod priveleges in a dead forum (SoC which has been archived). ... So I have access to the Participants Only threads...

I'm looking here at the Editors especially, and anyone who is very shy with their work - which I totally understand, because I'm also shy and protective with my own unfinished work. I will fully respect your decisions and stay out of that sub-forum if someone wishes it, or a specific participant's thread.

All of your stories thus far sound great, and I cannot wait to see the finished product next May!

Oh, and kind of unrelated... perhaps for HAM 03 we can start even earlier... I was wondering at "Laughter" as a theme for next year, since it has been mentioned in the final story order/participants thread that these stories are rather melancholy. The goal being to make people laugh, or better yet end with a smile on their face (because a smile is more lasting). Just a thought - I know this is incredibly early to even consider next year's topic... but I'd really like a head start so I can definately participate!!! XD

Thanks for considering my request,
-AC
The only other member of Studio Constancy Roman - AND PROUD OF IT!
Soon, I'll be unveiling my own NEW mullet-styled website.

"The secret of my acting... is that I... pretend to be other people." - Ian McKellan

About pigs...
"They don't fly!"
"They had wings in prehistoric times and then slowly they atrophied."
- Leslie Pool, 10 Items Or Less

#2 User is offline   Renatus Icon

• Hamthology Concept Editor and Structural Magician
  • Icon
  • Group: Hamthology
  • Interests:Writing, first and foremost. <br />Drawing and painting next. Art Nouveau and Art Deco are currently my favourite art movements.<br />Coffee and chocolate, preferably coffee with chocolate in.<br />Cats.<br />Necromancers.<br />Gritty urban fantasy.<br />Pseudo-Victorian magical steampunk.<br />Sappy romance.<br />Stompy music.<br />Glittering rhinestones, chains, buckles, belts and leather.<br />Neil Gaiman, Patricia McKillip, Ray Bradbury.

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:40 PM

If at any point we feel we need additional content editors, we'll let you know. :) For future reference, requests like this are better suited for PMs to the editors in charge.

As for the themes, I believe we'll stick to deciding them once the current anthology is out the door so potential participants have a chance to put in their voices. Definitely feel free to suggest this next summer when that time comes around!

#3 User is offline   Bryan Y B Wong Icon

• Editor In Chief...w/ chicken
  • Icon

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:55 AM

At this point, I feel that we need additional content editors. People are really busy putting their work together, and may not have quite a chance to review each others work... and so some outside assistance with dialogue is certainly not unwelcome. So, if you feel like helping out, AC (or anyone else), go right ahead!

More specifically, we need someone to read final dialogues for grammatical and spelling errors.

We are pretty much settled on the story content, and we're not going to force anyone to change their stories drastically at this point, but as far as the presentation goes, a little outside perspective won't hurt. In a sense, we would like people to read it just as if they were reading a new comic, and note areas that may not make much sense to them, or seem a little bit off.

#4 User is offline   AnimeCanuck Icon

• SCR Studio Sidekick
  • Icon
  • Interests:Acting, Anime, Manga, Japanese, Drawing, Reading, Writing, Badminton, Hockey, Bicycling, Sci-fi, Improvisation... the list goes on.

Posted 09 January 2008 - 05:41 PM

I'm more than happy to help with Hamthology 2. I'd love to be a content editor! At the same time, I feel a bit hesistant to begin pointing out spelling and grammatical errors.

Is this really okay with all the other current editors?

So, if I begin, I hope all of you will realize I'm trying to catch all the typos and similar mistakes so that this Hamthology will be better than the first.

I hope there won't be any animosity between any of us. *weak smile*

"The secret of my acting... is that I... pretend to be other people." - Ian McKellan

About pigs...
"They don't fly!"

#5 User is offline   Bryan Y B Wong Icon

• Editor In Chief...w/ chicken
  • Icon

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:42 PM

Well, I think an atmosphere where people are exchanging advice openly is great. So, AC, and this goes for everyone here, the best way to give advice is to do so by respecting the others you're giving it to. Doing so will increast trust between participants.

Here are some ways everyone in general should keep in mind when they review others work:

1. Be clear and concise with your questions or suggestions, and lay out exactly what you feel are the issues and what could be fixed.

2. Focus and organize your thoughts, and avoid bringing up issues that are moot points or going off on tangents. People are busy and won't be able to wade through tons of text to get to what will really help them improve their work.

3. Always be polite and don't ask for more than what is reasonable.

#6 User is offline   AnimeCanuck Icon

• SCR Studio Sidekick
  • Icon

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:47 PM

Yoshi!
Oh, and I realize I'm not actually an editor, I'm just helping with grammar and typos. Sorry if I got a little excited and too ambitious up there. ^_^;;

About pigs...
"They don't fly!"

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users