• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Apple sues HTC They done got served

#1 User is offline   Claymore32 Icon

• ^__^
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:07 PM

In case you haven't heard, today Apple sued HTC for patent infringement on a good number of its patents.

For those curious about all the super wonderful details, you can read up about it at any of the following locations:

I haven't looked too closely yet into the various patents Apple claims are being infringed upon, but it looks like this lawsuit will be pretty critical to the future of other players in the smart phone arena (namely touch-screen smart phones). A lot of people seem to be indicating that Apple's being the bad guy and trying to completely own the market. Not sure if I totally agree with that, but Apple did bring a TON of innovation to the smart phone arena (think what the market looked like before the iPhone arrived). Granted, not all their ideas were genuine, but they were the first to patent them.

Very curious to see how this plays out, and what it will mean for HTC and, ultimately, Google.

#2 User is offline   di3s3l_666 Icon

• HENSHIN!!
  • Icon
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:18 AM

As one of the people who responded to the Gizmodo article said; Apple should play evil empire somewhere else.

Posted Image
::DEVART
::First LoT Appearance: LoT 39 - When good brains go bad
::Slave to the Mistress Yan-Yan
::Holds the Yamamoto Class Toaster given by Jonathan888
::Facebook
::I finally gave into XBOX Live - SHiFT Di3S3L - look me up

Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Claymore32 Icon

• ^__^
  • Icon

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:30 AM

View Postdi3s3l_666, on 04 March 2010 - 10:18 PM, said:

As one of the people who responded to the Gizmodo article said; Apple should play evil empire somewhere else.

Yeah, I have a feeling this legal battle is going to be incredibly damaging to Apple's public image. And here they're the ones that came out with that genius ad back in 1984 of the girl throwing the hammer into the Orwellian 'big brother' screen. Personally, that ad could be applied to today with a giant apple on the screen instead.

I'm all for companies defending their patents - it's how they get their due rewards for the ideas they come up with. But when it gets to the point of locking competitors out of an entirely different ecosystem (in this case, the touch-screen phone market), then I think that's when things need to be reviewed.

#4 User is offline   Claymore32 Icon

• ^__^
  • Icon

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:41 AM

Here's an interesting article that takes on the question of "what if HTC had to remove all or some of the functionality Apple's patents cover?"

http://www.wired.com...ple-htc-google/

#5 User is offline   di3s3l_666 Icon

• HENSHIN!!
  • Icon

Posted 06 March 2010 - 03:13 AM

View PostClaymore32, on 05 March 2010 - 06:30 AM, said:

View Postdi3s3l_666, on 04 March 2010 - 10:18 PM, said:

Yeah, I have a feeling this legal battle is going to be incredibly damaging to Apple's public image...

As if their public image isn't degrading already. They just don't want to compete, so they'll try to muscle their way around competition by swallowing them, thus retarding the whole core which innovation is found upon; Find what makes your competitor's product sell so well, and improve upon it. Automotive makers do it all the time. When Ford was developing the Ford GT, they bought a Ferrari 430, disassembled it, and studied it. They then made a car that they would hope could compete against it, one which you could buy for less money. The only problem here, is that Apple is against technological advancements that won't make them any money.

So let's think for a second, Suppose we replace the finger-swipe method of unlocking a touch screen phone with...for argument's sake...a double-tap. Well that's one court item thrown out the window. There are other things that HTC could say "You know what Apple, we're inventing and patenting our own crap then", and fully maintain the phone's usability.

I dunno Apple, It's great that people who develop these technologies are to gain benefit from their creation, but to sacrifice competition and innovation for the sake of money, doesn't seem like a fair trade to me. But apparently to businessmen, it is.

Posted Image
::DEVART
::First LoT Appearance: LoT 39 - When good brains go bad
::Slave to the Mistress Yan-Yan
::Holds the Yamamoto Class Toaster given by Jonathan888
::Facebook
::I finally gave into XBOX Live - SHiFT Di3S3L - look me up

Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Ghost23 Icon

• piglet
  • Icon

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:39 AM

It is just like a sport for Apple - to sue its competitors.. HTC, Samsung...

#7 User is offline   jonathan888 Icon

• Qi tao
  • Icon
  • Group: Piggy Herder
  • Interests:Chess, Sinophile, 80's pop, books. Runescape, 3D animation, photoshop, art, anime.

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:04 PM

necro topic - but, yes, Apple is IP aggressive
Every answer has a dozen or so stupid questions leading into it.

Love is the ultimate answer, everything else is just details.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users