• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SOPA and the NDAA AKA how free speech is at risk

#1 User is offline   The Traveling Otaku Icon

• The NEET moon princess of Tsuchania
  • Icon
  • Group: Moderators
  • Location:I never stay in one place, I'm always going somewhere
  • Interests:Graphic Design, Anime, drawing, video gaming and Touhou.

Posted 20 December 2011 - 04:26 AM

Ok this place is sort of ghost town of sorts, but I know some are still alive here. Course I think it's time to bring you all to awareness of the events that are unfolding here in America behind the scenes....

While we may be enjoying our lives at the moment that very thing could change as there has been a lot of talk about 2 bills that have risen out of the blue. The media isn't touching much upon them and these bills are creeping through congress.

These bill I mention are the NDAA and SOPA.

The NDAA is a bill that puts America's freedom of speech at risk since it mentions that the bill has the right to detain anyone into a military prison. Which even includes US citizens. More or less if you say anything that is against the government, it give the president the right to send the military into your house and take you away as you will be marked an an enemy of the United State to be placed into a military prison without an attorney or trail for an undefined period of time.

Course there's been lots of debate over the clause in the bill since it may or may not actually mean that.

Then there's also the Second bill that threatens the net. SOPA or "Stop Online Piracy Act" Which while this bill is mainly an act to try to stop piracy in general. The way it is done is over the top though.
What that bill discusses is the fact that if any website hosts an image, a song, or other material that is said to be copy right material, it puts the entire website at risk of being shut down. All it takes is for one person to complain and report something and then it can shut down the website simply because it's labeled as a Rouge website.

It also puts even regular users at risk who are accused of said conent because they cab be fined and put in prison for 5 -10 years. This puts all sites like Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, Wikipedia, heck even this site could come under fire, just because the avatars we use are "technically" copyright content.

And to top it off SOPA has a sister bill known as PIPA (Protect IP Act) which make going to forgine websites difficult cause when if this law passes mainly because it can block access to them if they are labeled as a "threat". Thus making the United State's internet equivalent to China's and Iran's.

As of right now, there's been mixed reports of the NDAA some say it has passed, other say it hasn't some say it's on the verge of being passed. But it has raised great concern non the less.

As for SOPA and PIPA, it has mainly been in the Judicial committee right now being disccuss for markup but yet nothing has changed of the bill and while the committee was suppose to be off for the holidays last minute changes rescued led another meeting for the 21st.

I know you all like to discuss things here on the board. So I'm going to ask here.

What's your stand on this situation on the two most controversial laws in discussion, what are your plans regarding the bills. What are we to do if we have these laws put into place? Have we all taken a stand on them before they come to pass?

I mainly would be interested in feedback here. But if you need to... google it up. You'll find out a lot about the two of them that way.
"That's one small step for man, one giant leap for otakukind!"
"By the way, you can call me Totaku."

#2 User is offline   TC7 Icon

• 7 is Lucky When Swords are involved.
  • Icon
  • Interests:Everything I like.

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:33 PM

No need to discuss the sopa and pipa that can't pass those are unconsistutional.

#3 User is offline   jonathan888 Icon

• Qi tao
  • Icon
  • Group: Piggy Herder
  • Interests:Chess, Sinophile, 80's pop, books. Runescape, 3D animation, photoshop, art, anime.

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:14 PM

It's full out Calvinball at this point - the Feds are acting as if the bill of rights and constitution mean nothing. It's Catch 22 - they can get away with whatever we let them get away with.

SOPA is the loss of speech, NDAA is the loss of liberty. The gamble they are trying is to see if enough Americans will wake up when threatened with loss these final rights at the hands of tyranny. The 4th, 9th, 8th, 10th & 5th bill of rights are effectively broken with executive orders, rules and SCOTUS rulings.

A lot of people have woken up, I don't know if it is enough, we will soon see.
Every answer has a dozen or so stupid questions leading into it.

Love is the ultimate answer, everything else is just details.

#4 User is offline   TC7 Icon

• Icon

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:54 AM

The govt wont like it when the people rise up and overthrow the current idiots.

#5 User is offline   The Traveling Otaku Icon

• Icon

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:31 PM

Well if you haven't heard from recent follow ups. The two internet bills that were meant to be voted on today were postponed till next year late in January.

Meanwhile, Senator Harry Reid wants to accelerate PIPA through so he's planning to have a Cloture vote on the 24th of January to speed it pass committee, and the Senate so he can get it into Obama's hands ASAP within it's current state. So this leaves us with a month to bring the two bills into the awareness of the American people.

Also if the new NDAA bill means anything and if it's abused, it can give the president the say so to send the army against said terrorist (AKA protesters). Just because they are against the rules of the government. Like Jon said, this is some serious stuff that could get dangerous if these 3 bills (NDAA, SOPA and PIPA) are put into law.

#6 User is offline   The Traveling Otaku Icon

• Icon

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:02 AM

Kinda surprised no one's discussing or even talking about how they want to make a stand cause it's been confirmed that the NDAA has been signed into law.

That technically means now that our President has the power to give the military the green light to allow the US to be turned into a battle ground and also allow for the possible arresting of US citizens that commit "belligerent acts" this raises concerns for me especially protesters of the OWS movement all over the US. Since according to the Pentagon a "protest" is classified as "low level terrorism"

The only thing that stands from it being enforced at the moment is Obama's signed statement that he vows not to enforce it during his term. Wether or not he upholds it or not is still in the air. So I'd be very carful since now anything you say about you government might be enough to have you whisked away to military prison without hesitation or trial. Course even if this isn't enforced during Obama's term, what about the next President? (I'm beginning to consider Ron Paul since he actually has a stand against this type of thing)

http://www.whitehous...esident-hr-1540

So now the only way this can be overthrown from law is through the Surpreme Court now. Question is... how long will that take?

#7 User is offline   TC7 Icon

• Icon

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:39 AM

i am not liking where this government is going.

#8 User is offline   jonathan888 Icon

• Qi tao
  • Icon
  • Interests:Chess, Sinophile, 80's pop, books. Runescape, 3D animation, photoshop, art, anime.

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:25 AM

The trouble that many freedom advocates are pointing out is that to have standing to bring a case to the supreme court you have to challenge the law when it affects you directly. It is impossible to challenge the law from military detention if you are held incommunicado. Catch 22.

The other grave concern is that careful reading of SOPA actually states that military detention can be authorized for SUSPICION of terrorism, and worse the definition of terrorism is being expanded to include people who support fringe groups without participating in them.

Thought policing is in force as of now.

#9 User is offline   TC7 Icon

• Icon

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:53 PM

this is bad for me i have a mouth and i speak out randomly

#10 User is offline   jonathan888 Icon

• Qi tao
  • Icon

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:23 AM

Bad for me too, I'm planning on directly protesting one of the 'powerful men' when he visits town.

#11 User is offline   TC7 Icon

• Icon

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:13 AM

protesting takes too much effort. and i need to keep my job. i wont explain that second one.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users